Hello Chris,

Sorry for the late response but I was on vacation last week.

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 8:06 PM Chris Murphy <li...@colorremedies.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 1:08 AM Javier Martinez Canillas
> <jav...@dowhile0.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 5:28 AM Chris Murphy <li...@colorremedies.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/BootLoaderSpecByDefault
> > >
> > > I want this change to succeed but I'm experiencing a regression, and
> > > while trying to troubleshoot it I'm finding it difficult to understand
> > > the myriad differences:
> > >

> > Is this on F29 or Rawhide? Also, it's on an EFI or BIOS install?
>
> Rawhide UEFI. I thought it was a regression compared to grubby and
> grub2-mkconfig, because the problem doesn't happen with them. But
> those tools work directly on the grub.cfg which on UEFI only ever
> appears on FAT. Meanwhile, blscfg's .conf files are located at
> /boot/loader/entries which on this particular test setup is subject to
> zstd compression, and GRUB doesn't yet support zstd compression. GRUB
> couldn't read the file contents, therefore it's not a regression, it's
> a missing feature. Removing the compression solved the problem.

I see, thanks a lot for the explanation.

> > > there's a lot of grub2 documentation in Fedora and outside Fedora, all
> > > of which conflicts with this feature. And Fedora's experts in QA and
> >
> > Could you please elaborate a little bit? If you see a big mismatch
> > between some documentation and how the BLS support behaves, please
> > point out so we can try to make it more transparent for users.
>
> If a user has bootloader related issues, I ordinarily would only ask
> for a copy of the grub.cfg. But with bls systems, I need to ask for
> the grub.cfg, all the .conf files, and the grubenv file. All of them
> need to be interpreted. Each of those files are only described in
> generic terms by upstream GRUB, and no one else is using those files
> in the specific way they're being used in Fedora.

Yes, a BLS configuration comes with a different set of trade offs. Not
having the boot entries in the grub2.cfg has the advantage that the
file doesn't have to be modified on kernel install / removal, but as
you said it also means that it doesn't contain all the information of
your boot configuration.

> Between this feature for F30, and the F29 feature to hide the grub
> menu which comes with boot success+fail marking by using the grubenv,
> there are substantial changes in bootloading on Fedora that exist no
> where else and near as I can tell there is no documentation at all. I
> can't really call specs we don't fully follow, or feature pages, to be
> documentation.

You are correct, we will work on more documentation and also better
tooling to manage the BLS snippets, grubenv file, etc. For example
grub2-editenv is very fragile as was mentioned in this thread.

> > On Rawhide the blscfg command now supports to load BLS entries to
> > troubleshoot these cases. For example you should be able to do:
> >
> > blscfg (hd0,gpt2)/loader/entries/
> >
> > to load all the BLS snippets from a directory or:
> >
> > blscfg
> > (hd0,gpt2)/loader/entries/loader/entries/036f3661be4047b6b678d491f76df6f4-5.0.0-0.rc4.git3.1.fc30.x86_64.conf
> >
> > to load a single BLS snippet.
>
> Ok that is a useful troubleshooting technique. In my case this was
> totally silent, ergo it found nothing even though there were files
> there. Adding 'set debug=all' and then following that up with blscfg
> exposed what directories it was looking at and the contents weren't
> readable - and that's when I clued in.

Got it, I'm glad that you figured out the issue.

> --
> Chris Murphy

Best regards,
Javier