https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/BINUTILS_GOLD

== Summary ==
Move the GOLD linker from the main binutils package into its own sub-package.

== Owner ==
* Name: Nick Clifton [https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Nickc]
* Email: ni...@redhat.com

== Detailed Description ==
The GOLD linker is currently part of the binutils package.
Unfortunately it seems that Google have decided not to continue
development of the linker, and so it is possible that it may start to
bit-rot. The linker is still being maintained by the upstream GNU
Binutils project, but new development is not happening. Thus as a
precautionary measure I would like to move GOLD into its own
sub-package of the binutils, in case in the future we decide that it
should be deprecated.

== Benefit to Fedora ==

In the short term none.  Although also in the short term the change
should have no effect on Fedora.  In the long term moving the gold
linker into its own package means that it could then be removed from
Fedora, should it turn out to be unmaintainable.

== Scope ==
* Proposal owners: Create a sub-package of the binutils package
containing just the gold linker.
* Other developers: Packages that use the gold linker should add a
requirement on the new sub-package.
* Release engineering: https://pagure.io/releng/issue/8130 (a check of
an impact with Release Engineering is needed)
A mass rebuild would be useful as it will help to identify packages
that need to update their requirements.
* Policies and guidelines: The packaging guidelines should be updated
to indicate that any package that uses the gold linker should have a
requirement on the new sub-package.
* Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)

== Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
In theory there should be no impact when upgrading.  As long as
packages that need a linker have a dependency upon the binutils
package, the new gold sub-package should be included as well.

== How To Test ==
No special hardware is needed, but a environment capable of building
packages is desirable.
First install the binutils package (if not already installed) and make
sure that both ld.bfd and ld.gold are in the search path.
Then try uninstalling the binutils-gold sub-package.  This should
remove ld.gold.  Try reinstalling it, which should restore ld.gold.

== User Experience ==
Ideally users should not notice any difference in their experience with Fedora.

== Dependencies ==
None.

== Contingency Plan ==
* Contingency mechanism: Restore GOLD to the main binutils package.
This can be done by anyone familair with spec files, although ideally
it would be done by the binutils package maintainer (ie me).
* Contingency deadline: F31 release.
* Blocks release? No
* Blocks product? No

== Documentation ==