On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 9:18 AM Jason L Tibbitts III <ti...@math.uh.edu> wrote:
> Since xindy isn't really something that can be relied upon, is it
> possible (or reasonable) to do this globally in our sphinx packages?
> Even when it was enabled, it was architecture-limited which would
> force that limitation to propagate down to potentially anything that
> used sphinx.  (xindy is written in LISP and builds with clisp.  There's
> a certain irony in that Jerry is also a maintainer of clisp.)

Yes, I am, and nobody ever mentioned xindy problems to me.  There were
no bugs filed against clisp, no email messages to me, nothing.  If I'd
known about these problems, I would have helped look into them.

> I do think that the disabling of xindy was supposed to be only temporary
> so I think it could be re-enabled, but having it off probably makes
> texlive maintenance easier.  The proper solution, I guess, is to fix
> clisp to work on s390x and then fix whatever issues prevent xindy from
> being enabled all the time.  I think it would help to remove it from
> texlive-base entirely and let it stand on its own.  That way issues with
> it wouldn't prevent texlive-base from building.

The clisp issue with s390x has been on my TODO list for a long time.
I've been using most of my Fedora time to hunt down bugs that keep
other packages from building at all.  I seem to be reaching the end of
that, at last, so I'll try to figure this out next.
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/