On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 10:07 AM Lennart Poettering <mzerq...@0pointer.de> wrote:

> Heya,
>
> today I installed the current Fedora 30 Workstation beta on my new
> laptop. It was a bumpy ride, I must say (the partitioner (blivet?)
> crashed five times or so on me, always kicking me out of anaconda
> again, just because I wanted to undo something).

I haven't seen a single one come across in QA

> 1. multipathd.

I'm pretty sure it gets dragged in by the installer, i.e. the
installation environment needs it because installing to multipath is
supported. And since it's on the Workstation LiveOS, it just gets
copied over along with the installer itself (LiveOS installs use
rsync). I wonder if it's reasonable to apply more exclude filtering
during rsync to avoid copying some things needed for Live OS
environment, but not on the final installed system. But that's sorta
up to Workstation WG I think.

> 2. dmraid.

Same as above. I'm not sure whether, or when, dmraid stuff is going to
be dropped by anaconda. For a long time now dmraid is deprecated. The
two supported ways of doing software raid are managed by mdadm and
lvm, both of which actually use the md driver in the kernel.

So I think this is a question for the anaconda team.

> 4. Similar crond. On my fresh install it's only used by "zfs-fuse",
>    which I really wonder why it even is in the default install? And
>    "mdadm" wants this too. (which would be great if it would just use
>    timer units)

I think zfs-fuse and glusterfs are dragged in by libvirt, which is
present because of GNOME Boxes. I don't know why any of those want
crond.

mdadm scrub and monitoring depends on crond, and then email
notifications if mismatch count != 0; it's archaic these days I guess,
but that's how it works.

> 5. libvirtd. Why is this running? Can't we make this socket
>    activatable + exit-on-idel? While I am sure it's useful on
>    workstations why run it all the time, given that only very few
>    users probably actually need that, and if they do starting it on
>    demand would be much more appropriate? On my freshly installed
>    system it is running all the time even though there are no VMs or
>    anything around.

Agreed.

> Ideally, the top 4 wouldn't be installed at all anymore (in case of
> the first two at least on the systems which do not need them). But if
> that's not in the cards, it would be great to at least not enable
> these services anymore in the default boot so that they are only a
> "systemctl enable" away for people who need them?

At the least it seems reasonable they can be disabled on the installed
system, and enabled for Live OS boot if the installer needs them.

--
Chris Murphy