On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 01:12:51PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, why does a web browser need a daily chrome job?

From the script's comment:

# It creates the repository configuration file for package updates, since
# we cannot do this during the google-chrome installation since the repository
# is locked.
#
# This functionality can be controlled by creating the $DEFAULTS_FILE and
# setting "repo_add_once" to "true" or "false" as desired. An empty
# $DEFAULTS_FILE is the same as setting the value to "false".

Despite this, the complete script (500+ lines!) seems to be in-line
copied to the rpm's post-install script (nearly 1200 lines!) too.

I gave up trying to understand everything they do in there years ago.
I used to repackage Chrome in earlier days (i.e. make an rpm that
extracts the Google binary rpm and builds a new one with pre/post
scripts I wrote myself), also because I refused to run Google scripts
as root with (in those days, a.o.) lines like "rm -rf $SOMEVAR" in it.
But I became lazy and you can use your time only once, so now I
decided not to bother anymore.

Cheers,

--
--    Jos Vos <j...@xos.nl>
--    X/OS Experts in Open Systems BV   |   Office: +31 20 6938364