On Sat, Apr 13, 2019 at 12:43 PM Mikolaj Izdebski <mizde...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 13, 2019 at 12:17 PM Fabio Valentini <decatho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 5:03 PM Mikolaj Izdebski <mizde...@redhat.com>
> > wrote:

> > On koschei, I'm getting the following issues for the stewardship-sig
> > packages (there are probably more, but builds don't always hit 32-bit
> > builders):
> >
> > avalon-framework:
> >     Problem: package log4j-2.11.1-3.fc30.noarch requires
> > mvn(org.eclipse.persistence:javax.persistence), but none of the
> > providers can be installed
> >     - conflicting requests
> >     - nothing provides mvn(org.eclipse.osgi:org.eclipse.osgi) needed
> > by eclipselink-persistence-api-2.1.0-7.fc30.noarch
> >
> > avalon-logkit:
> >     Problem: package log4j-2.11.1-3.fc30.noarch requires
> > mvn(org.eclipse.persistence:javax.persistence), but none of the
> > providers can be installed
> >     - conflicting requests
> >     - nothing provides mvn(org.eclipse.osgi:org.eclipse.osgi) needed
> > by eclipselink-persistence-api-2.1.0-7.fc30.noarch
> >
> > log4j:
> >     Problem: conflicting requests
> >     - nothing provides mvn(org.eclipse.osgi:org.eclipse.osgi) needed
> > by eclipselink-persistence-api-2.1.0-7.fc30.noarch
> >
> > If I understand correctly, that's a case where we should "switch"
> > log4j to using the different "OSGi APIs" you mentioned?
> > For now, I've added an "x86_64" arch override to these three packages
> > in koschei, so we can see if they can build successfully on at least
> > one architecture.
>
> First, some cotext:
> Apache Log4j is a logging library. Among other possibilities, it can
> log to a relational database through JPA [1].
> Log4j uses EclipseLink as it is the reference implementations of JPA.
> EclipseLink (obviously) depends on Eclipse, which is now unavailable
> on 32-bit arches.
> But EclipseLink is not the only available implementation of JPA. We
> also have other implementations packaged. The ones I am aware of:
> Hibernate 5, Hibernate 4, Hibernate 3, Apache OpenJPA.
>
> Possible solutions that I can think of (in order from most to least
> preferred):
> 1. make EclipseLink not depend on Eclipse (but I don't how feasible
> that would be)
> 2. switch log4j to use different implementation of JPA (should be easy)
> 3. disable JPA support in log4j (trivial, but will break users)
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Persistence_API

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification. I've worked on a Project
using springframework / JPA / hibernate before, but I didn't know how
all the pieces fit together under the hood.

So Option 1 would require help from the eclipse/EclipseLink
maintainers? So ... Option 2 sounds like the probable outcome.

Fabio