On Sat, Apr 13, 2019 at 4:04 PM Jonathan Dieter <jdie...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, the background is that I'd like to build zchunk for EPEL 6 (it's
> already built for EPEL 7).  Unfortunately, the gcc in EL6 is too old to
> build zchunk, so I'd prefer to use a newer version from an SCL, rather
> than rewrite zchunk to be compatible with an ancient version of gcc.
>
> I noticed that SCLs are available for EPEL 7 (note the final repository
> in the list at https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taginfo?tagID=259),
> but not for EPEL 6 (see
> https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taginfo?tagID=140).

The SCL's have their uses, but for EPEL? I think they'd add
unnecessary complexity on an an unreliable developer codebase and be a
really bad idea to rely on for EPEL componenents. RHEL 6 is at release
6.10, and should be treated as end-of-life. If the component were
being embedded into the SCL, then it might make some sense to support.
But as best I can tell zchunk has nothing to do with the SCL except
for the gcc requirement.