From: devel-boun...@lists.fedoraproject.org
[mailto:devel-boun...@lists.fedoraproject.org] On Behalf Of Adam Jackson
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2010 2:52 PM
To: Development discussions related to Fedora
Subject: Re: F14/F13 - system-config-display - should it work?

On Thu, 2010-08-12 at 15:00 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

> EDID & DDC are mere conveniences unnecessary to the function of the
> device. I really couldn't care less whether EDID/DDC exists, much less
> works. What matters (works just fine) from a display, which may have
> been manufactured before the invention of DDC or EDID, is its output
> qualities.

DDC1 was spec'd in 1994.  Version 3.0 of the DDC standard, which included the
I²C-based DDC2 protocol that most drivers implement, was released in 1997; I'm
reasonably sure it was also documented in Version
2 of that standard, which appears to have been 1995 or so according to light
googling for press releases.  (DDC1 was a remarkable botch that involved
overclocking the vertical sync pulse and using that to transfer data.  Eeeeek.)

The oldest (instance of the minimal) CPU architecture we support is the Pentium
Pro, which was also 1995.  I'm touched by your concern for such antiquarian
hardware, but I'm quite comfortable saying it's not a design goal to work on
hardware that's now old enough to get a driver's license.

- ajax