Hi,

On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 4:01 PM Matthew Miller <mat...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> It's been six months, and like clockwork, we release Fedora 30 today!

Congratulations! I have done in-place upgrades since Fedora 15 and I
was never let down. This time I even had scheduled a set of offline
tasks to do while my laptop would be unavailable but couldn't complete
half of them before noticing the system upgrade had completed. No
hard numbers but I'm pretty sure it went much faster than my upgrade
to f29.

That is a bit irrelevant but I disabled the modular repository after
upgrading to f29, so I can't comment on my upgrade experience in this
regard.

> Thank you to the thousands of people who worked to bring this release
> together. Fedora doesn't happen by magic: it happens because of you!

I'd like to break the spell a bit. Although the system upgrade always
goes smoothly (and yet I'm always worried) the download and
verification part rarely does on the first try.

Here I had to remove the following packages (and they took some of
their dependencies away with them) beforehand:

- python2-hawkey-0.31.0-2.fc29.x86_64
- python2-libdnf-0.31.0-2.fc29.x86_64
- python2-migrate-0.11.0-9.fc29.noarch

Looking at my f30 setup I find this:

$ rpm -q --obsoletes fedora-obsolete-packages |
> grep -E 'python2-(hawkey|libdnf|migrate)'
python2-hawkey < 0.30-1
python2-libdnf < 0.30-1

So apparently python2-hawkey and python2-libdnf were updated on f29
after being obsoleted on f30 with no further coordination on the
fedora-obsolete-packages side. I'm not trying to blame anyone, it is
easy to forget about something that was supposed to be done.

Maybe we should change the %{release} tag to look like %{?dist}X
instead of X%{?dist}. That would allow something like:

    Obsoletes: $PKG < $VERSION-f30

Since the %{release} comes after the %{version} that would still not
prevent the accident I ran into with python2-{hawkey,libdnf} and there
has already been solid cases against Epoch for this use case.

In hindsight, it's possibly the mast removal of python2 packages that
sped up the upgrade.

I have no idea why or how python2-migrate landed on my system, and
didn't actively need that one. According to DNF nothing obsoletes this
package today.

Then I had to remove libxslt-devel.i686 because the upgrade selected
both i686 and x86_64 packages and they conflict. No idea why. Trying
to reinstall libxslt-devel.i686 afterwards worked fine.

Then I realized that getdns-stubby was gone after the upgrade. I
suspect this happened because there was previously no such
sub-package. I have no idea how to deal with that kind of split.

Finally, on the first f30 right after the system upgrade I tried a DNF
upgrade and fedora-obsolete-packages was available. It was _after_
that last upgrade that I inspected its obsoleted packages with the
grep command above.

So besides those unfortunate hiccups I'm now writing the devel list on
a Fedora 30 system, happy that you chose to release it right before a
bank holiday where I live, giving me the luxury to say goodbye to
Fedora N-1 faster than usual.

Cheers,
Dridi

PS. does the wallpaper have some sort of easter egg?