Nico Kadel-Garcia <nka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I seem to remember you can't create root level directories from a
> > program either.
>
> Of course you can. The program needs to run with root privileges. and
> not violate whatever SELinux or other "/" mountpoint restrictions
> exist.
>
> It's a *Bad Idea(tm), since it violates the File System Hierarchy, but
> that hardly makes it impossible.

Note that I don't feel any requirement that the /afs directory should be
installed by the filesystem rpm.  For my purposes, it would be fine if it's
created or installed by the kafs-client rpm or created on demand by the
systemd script for starting the mount.

Note further that there does need to be a systemd script to effect the mount
as this has a dependency on another systemd script that loads the
configuration into the kernel.

I really don't want to have to tell ordinary users that "you can't use this
unless you first go and write some systemd scripting".

> \And violating a much more important, namely the File System Hiearchy.
> If you can find a good reason to violate that, publish your reasoning.

Well, there's 35 years of history, expectation, experience, documentation and
scripting for a start that expect the global AFS namespace to be mounted on
/afs on a UNIX box (Windows is different).

For the in-kernel AFS client to "work out of the box", it must mount the
dynamic root on /afs.  That is what people who use AFS generally expect.

> By the way, I've dealt with /afs style automounting before, and it was
> a nightmare to clean up after when it inevitably croaked precisely due
> to the root filesystem location of "/afs".

"a nightmare to clean up"?  "inevitably croaked"?  "precisely due to the root
filesystem location"?  Please elaborate.

"umount /afs" or "systemctl stop afs.mount" will unmount the kafs (the
in-kernel afs filesystem) dynroot and all its automounts.  Note that kafs
works differently to, say, OpenAFS.  OpenAFS has a single superblock that is
the entire AFS namespace and every volume, every vnode you access appears in
there.  kafs, however, creates a superblock for each volume and uses the
d_automount dentry operation to operate AFS mount points.

David