On Sun, Jun 16, 2019, 10:00 AM Iñaki Ucar, <iu...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 at 05:07, Elliott Sales de Andrade
> <quantum.anal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi R-interested packagers and others,
> >
> > Recently, I've been looking at how RPM can automatically determine
> > Provides and Requires [1]. I have since implemented this for R using
> > an R script [2] and some file attributes [3]. Following other
> > languages' Provides, I have namespaced them as R(packageName). It then
> > adds corresponding Requires, Suggests, and Enhances.
> >
> > Additionally, R package versions commonly contain dashes. In order to
> > work in RPM, these are replaced with dots. For the automated
> > Provides/Requires, I have used the *real* versions instead.
> >
> > So now the question is how to apply this. I expect there are social
> > concerns, i.e., discussing with the R maintainer, making a
> > Self-contained Change, etc. But for this email, I am mostly concerned
> > with the technical aspects:
> >
> > 1. Is R-devel the right place to put the script and RPM attribute file
> > (all R packages would normally depend on this)?
>
> I believe R-SIG-Fedora is the right place.

I meant the package, not the mailing list... But I guess I should cc them
as well when this is more ready.

> > 2. Does this namespacing make sense?
> > 3. Are dashes in *namespaced* versions going to be a problem?
> > 4. Python had a flag to enable the automatic generator; do we need
> > this for R, and how was it implemented?
> > 5. I expect this would need a rebuild of all packages to get the
> > dependencies right (because the regular rebuild is unordered); would
> > this need a side tag? Or would leaving it for the normal mass rebuild
> > just be fine?
> > 6. R only has two levels of dependencies (hard-require or suggested,
> > but not installed by default). Thus both build- and runtime-optional
> > packages are in Suggests; do we care about the extra Suggests?
>
> Sometimes these extra Suggests are not satisfiable, but they can be
> removed after disabling vignette rebuilding. In other cases,
> Recommends are more appropriate for suggested packages.

Yes, but there's no way to know that automatically. Suggests are weak
hints, so the fact that they're not satisfiable shouldn'tbe a problem.
Packagers can always add explicit Recommends if they think it's useful.

Iñaki