Le jeudi 27 juin 2019 à 12:26 -0600, Chris Murphy a écrit :
> On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 9:06 AM Bruno Wolff III <br...@wolff.to>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 14:19:26 -0600,
> >   Chris Murphy <li...@colorremedies.com> wrote:
> > > Short version: Fedora should take responsibility for the
> > > bootloader
> > > being up to date, by updating it during major version upgrades.
> > > This
> > > is already the case on UEFI with conventional installations. I'd
> > > like
> > > to make sure it always happens on major version upgrades for BIOS
> > > installations. What's the problem? This would step on any custom
> > > bootloader configuration a user has for multiboot. There is no
> > > reasonable mechanism on BIOS systems to determine if the
> > > bootloader is
> > > a Fedora bootloader, and somehow only update a Fedora bootloader
> > > and
> > > not touch any other bootloader.
> >
> > How do you envision this working for rawhide?
> > I had a problem where grub1 configs were no longer updated with
> > kernel
> > updates, where I finally needed to upgrade to grub2.
>
> Yep, small problem. And I'm not even sure how a 'grub2-install' on
> BIOS systems would be initiated only at major upgrade time. But even
> Fedora Rawhide does change versions when fcXX becomes fcXX+1, but is
> that a sane trigger?

It's not, such magic “it's FCX time” break all the time for users that
only do dnf update, or use rawhide (which branches before the next
version logic is deployed), etc

>  I'm not sure what the alternatives are.

That's, easy,

1. add a generic bootctl install command that knows the different
variants of bootloader used in Fedora, how to install them, how to
identify which variant is appropriate for a system (make grub and other
bootloaders packages install the corresponding info in a directory read
by this command)

2. make it write the id, generation, and deployment options used in a
lockfile every time it (re)installs the bootloader

3. add a config file with a variable to inhibit auto-redeployment

4. add a scriptlet to the bootctl package that calls bootctl install
and
 – checks the variant in the lockfile is appropriate for the hardware
(in case of disk mode or copy)
 – checks if the generation is current or unknown (unknown = future, do
not touch)
 – and if any of those is false, reinstalls the bootloader, unless the
inhibit variable is set

5. add a --force switch to bootctl to allow the operator to force a
bootloader rewrite every time somethins else broke it

--
Nicolas Mailhot