Not a developer nor do I know the inner workings of rpm-ostree but...

After doing yet another reinstall of Fedora Silverblue 30 I can confirm
that nvidia-settings *is* installed by doing:

rpm-ostree install akmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia

Which it is supposed to. However, doing:

rpm-ostree install nvidia-settings

results in the package being installed with the output of:
https://pastebin.com/hE4BeNfi ...despite nvidia-settings already being
installed and usable.

In other words, packages weren't added but 1.9 GB was added to the
image(which was fast since this is a 5400RPM drive and it took like 2
minutes...).  OK, so what happens if you try installing it again? It gives
an error: error: Package/capability 'nvidia-settings' is already requested

...and if you try removing it after it's been layered you get:
https://pastebin.com/6BGxZCz9

Again, it removed nothing but freed 79 MB of space. The output doesn't make
a whole lot of sense...