My entire involvement around Fedora is based on the fact that I was able to use machines that had been thrown away because they were deemed ‘too old’. I have several servers and multiple laptops that run Fedora perfectly and none of them would meet this requirement, effectively ending any chance of using Fedora going forward.

Perhaps as a compromise there could be a ‘regular’ 64-bit and a 64-bit-optimized-for-machines-made-after-2013 version?

Ron

On 22 Jul 2019, at 14:23, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

"BC" == Ben Cotton <bcot...@redhat.com> writes:

BC> * Other developers: Other developers may have to adjust test suites BC> which expect exact floating point results, and correct linking with BC> <code>libatomic</code>. They will also have to upgrade their x86-64
BC> machines to something that can execute AVX2 instructions.

[...]

BC> == Upgrade/compatibility impact ==

BC> Fedora installations on systems with CPUs which are not able to
BC> execute AVX2 instructions will not be able to upgrade.

Wow. I understand progress, but I have to say that it's not really cool to toss this bomb out there without some more detailed breakdown of the
impact.

For my part, I try to keep my equipment relatively up to date but I
don't want to throw something away if it's still perfectly useful. And,
let's see, I'd have to toss out five desktops (which isn't too bad, I
guess) and probably forty perfectly functional servers, some of which
aren't really even all that old.  Heck, a dozen computational servers
would be on the block.  Even requiring avx would force me to toss a
pretty big pile of stuff.

Basically, this would force me to use something other than Fedora. I'd
have no choice, since it wouldn't work.  I don't want to be that guy
with the 20mhz 386 that still wants others to make sure his stuff works,
but still, this seems like it's going more than just a bit too far.

 - J<