On Sat, 2010-08-21 at 00:46 +0400, Mahmoud Abdul Jawad wrote:
> Hi all,,
>
> before two weeks, a discussion started in ambassadors mailing-list
> about a work around to deliver the important notifications to the
> fedora desktop (whatever the desktop is).
> after some discussion, we started with some guide lines & putted them
> on the wiki:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_notifications_system
>
> Continuing, I created an early prototype i want people to check &
> gives feedbacks about it.
> you can reach it through gitweb:
> http://fedorapeople.org/gitweb?p=megenius/public_git/fns.git;a=summary
> or, you can grab your own clone from the git repo:
> git://fedorapeople.org/megenius/fns.git
>
> keep in mind that last_check file should be writeable by the world, &
> you should change its value to an earlier date, so you can see some
> notifications.

My immediate thought looking at your email was:
- don't put 'Fedora' in the name: anything done here needs to be
consumable by other distributions, and naming it 'Fedora' would be a big
turn-off

But I see that you're using "Hermes" as a name (nice!).

The code basically subscribes you to this RSS feed:
http://rss.gmane.org/messages/excerpts/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.core.announce
emitting the messages as desktop notifications.

Some thoughts looking at the code:
  - it's legitimate for a computer to not have a internet connection, so
the code needs avoiding spamming the user's session with the "There was
a problem getting the latest notifications. Please check your internet
connection" messages.
  - are these notifications a "system" level thing that the
administrator of the box should see, or something that all users of the
box should see?
  - is the RSS feed the correct one?  Are the messages there appropriate
for all users of Fedora?  For example, should the messages be localized?

Hope this is helpful

Dave