Lennart Poettering wrote:
> So, to turn this around. Do you think this behaviour is problematic? Can
> you make a good case for dropping this automatism? If so I'd be willing
> to do so.

That behavior might be fine, but don't add filesystems marked "noauto"
to the list of filesystems to be mounted automatically when reading fstab.

Here are my use cases and other rationale.  I'm sure other people have more:

* fstab(5) documents the "noauto" option
* I manually mount network shares that aren't always available with the
"noauto" and "user" options
* Removable media that appear in fstab are usually marked noauto
* /boot doesn't always need to be mounted on every distro
* I mount large filesystems after the boot process finishes so fscking
doesn't pause booting at $dayjob