On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 11:05:59AM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> assume. And if you ask me, we should just stick to SSE2 as the baseline.

Ie the status quo.

> What are the big gains to be had from SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, and SSE4.2?

Each of those individually, and from a general system library
persepective, I'd wager not a whole lot.  But in aggregate, there are a
lot of Clear Linux benchmarks showing a sizeable bump in general purpose
performance.

That said -- A reasonable argument can be made to bump the baseline to
require SSE3, because all non-AMD x86_64 CPUs support it, and on the AMD
side, anything beyond their 1st-gen single-core K8s supports it.
(We're talking April 2005 here, versus the September 2003 introduction
of the very first x86_64 processor)

As another data point, Windows 8.x effectively required SSE3 on 64-bit
CPUs as the other CPU features they required (LAHF/SAHF, CMPXCHG16B, and
NX) were only implemented together on SSE3-capable processors.

(And Steam's hardware survey shows that a full 100% of their users have
 an SSE3-capable processor..)

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy                         pizza at shaftnet dot org
High Springs, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^