On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 2:36 PM Iñaki Ucar <iu...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Aug 2019 at 15:01, Rex Dieter <rdie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Iñaki Ucar wrote:

> > > Thanks, Miro. Then, I suggest to add this particular case to the
> > > documentation. Not sure where though, but FWIW, my first search was
> > > "drop subpackage" and *not* the "Obsoletes" subsection.
> >
> > That case should already be covered by the "replace" part of:
> > https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/#renaming-or-replacing-existing-packages
>
> That's not clear to me. I read that in the first place, and I didn't
> identify this case either as a rename nor a replacement. A replacement
> is like bar that obsoletes foo. But here we have foo and
> foo-something, and at some point the latter is dropped (and not
> provided in foo).
>
> Iñaki

I'm running into just this sort of issue this with python2 modules and
Samba libraries, such as libldb, libtevent, libtalloc, and libtdb for
Samba 4.11rc1 The necessary modern visions of all of those libraries
are no longer copatible with python2. Compiling them for Fedora 30 and
RHEL 7 means that the old python2 modules are still present for
dependencies in mock, and hilarity ensues, *unless* the python3
modules are configured to "Obsolete" the python2  modules.