On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 1:35 AM Vitaly Zaitsev via devel
<devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On 21.08.2019 4:59, Chris Murphy wrote:
> > The very
> > simple work around for the computer shutting off in 3 minutes of
> > inactivity and you don't like that?
>
> 1. Such unpredicted shutdown can damage headers of LUKS-encrypted volumes.

By what mechanism?

There is no state change in the LUKS header when the volume is
unlocked, that's all done in memory. The only time there are state
changes is when adding/removing/changing passphrases.

I've been using encrypted home on loopback mounted file for several
years, with LUKS (1 and now 2 since released), and I routinely force
power off on purpose to try and sabotage the storage stack, and I've
never had any kind of corruption of anything, including the LUKS
header. (This is probably more of a storage hardware torture test than
a test of linux related layers, because by now they're all supposed to
tolerate this sort of thing, the problem comes in when the device
hasn't committed data to persistent storage and yet it's indicated to
the file system that it has done so.)

--
Chris Murphy