On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 7:32:06 AM MST you wrote:
> [quote="JohnMH, post:4, topic:2184, full:true"]
> If you’re deadset on using a Discorse subforum where nobody will find you,
> would you consider bridging it to a mailing list?
> [/quote]
>
> Without data or metrics about mailing list usage, it is difficult to assert
> that Discourse is hard to discover. We do have some data on Discourse page
> view metrics, with about ~2000 views each day and better discoverability in
> search engines:

> ![Consolidated page views of discussion.fp.o, taken 2019 Aug.
> 21|690x182](upload://tiXc6yB5ZIut8Q9ssUeO91m4Uiu.png "Consolidated page
> views of discussion.fp.o, taken 2019 Aug. 21")

> [quote="lbalhar, post:5, topic:2184"]
> Do you think that a mailing list is more visible? Joining a mailing list
> means that you already know that a mailing list (or a group) exists and you
> have to intentionaly find its address and join it. Here, I can imagine that
> somebody will just spot some of our discussion and join it or at least will
> know that we are here in case they’d need us.

> Do you think I am wrong and having a subcategory here is not a good idea?
> [/quote]
>
> @lbalhar The platform should make sense for your audience. Whether platform
> X or platform Y makes your discussion more visible depends on who is in
> your community and who you are trying to reach out to. Personally I think
> the improved search engine optimization of Discourse makes it easier for
> new people to discover conversations in Google/DuckDuckGo/et al, but this
> is only one factor.

> It is also worth noting Fedora Infrastructure no longer supports mailing
> lists:

> https://communityblog.fedoraproject.org/application-service-categories-and-c
> ommunity-handoff/

RE: No longer supporting mailing lists:
This project literally cannot function without mailing lists. We do not
currently have a viable alternative. See all of the issues we've had trying to
work with Mailing List mode on Discourse. It is not a complete feature, so we
(at least I) cannot recommend switching to it at this time.

--
John M. Harris, Jr. <joh...@splentity.com>
Splentity