On Tuesday, August 27, 2019 4:49:03 PM MST Japheth Cleaver wrote:

> >> Yeah, when you ask users questions they're not qualified to answer,
> >> you're just creating bad design.
> >> I always imagine my mom (who BTW has been a Fedora user for years) how
> >> she'd deal with that and I can't really imagine her opening/closing
> >> firewall ports. She'd be puzzled even by "Do you trust this network?"
> >> and would probably just click "Yes" to make it go away. No additional
> >> security, just annoying UX.
> >
> > However, Fedora Workstation is an edition. Which means it has a
> > *policy-defined* target audience. That target audience is defined here:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Workstation/Workstation_PRD#Target_Audience
> >

> > Case 1: "Engineering/CS student"
> > Case 2: "Independent Developer"
> > Case 3: "Small Company Developer"
> > Case 4: "Developer in a Large Organization"
> >

> > Are those people we believe do not understand the concepts associated
> > with firewalls?
>

> The term "Workstation" itself has a long pedigree and is laden with a
> variety of connotations. The failure here may be that that term has been
> conflated with "Desktop". Your mother surfing Facebook may benefit from
> a "Linux Desktop" (maybe.), but she's probably not the target for a
> "Linux Workstation" unless https://xkcd.com/327/ is likely to happen.
>
> "Fedora as a Distro" could do a better job of articulating this
> distinction. Perhaps a user vs. poweruser split is viable at
> install/config time, or perhaps Desktop and Workstation would warrant
> separate Editions.
>
> "Fedora as a Project", OTOH, seems to be reaching a point where so many
> downstream users have varying needs (and I'm including Editions, Atomic,
> Container folks, EPEL as a side project, and RHEL/CentOS/SL here) that a
> fundamental project re-architecture is getting to be warranted.
>
> -jc
> Fedora Code of Conduct:
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/project/code-of-conduct/ List
> Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines List
> Archives:

"Workstation" literally means a station to work at. Any computer you can do
work on is a workstation. My workstation is an X200 Tablet running Fedora KDE
Spin, for example.

If there is to be a Desktop edition, I vote KDE is the default DE of it.

--
John M. Harris, Jr. <joh...@splentity.com>
Splentity