On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 11:44 PM John M. Harris Jr. <joh...@splentity.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, September 8, 2019 7:05:39 PM MST Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 7:00 AM vvs vvs <vvs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > > I'm sorry, but where did you saw that I said something about i686
> > > *kernel*? I think that I explicitly mentioned *x86_64* kernel with i686
> > > userland and described why it could be beneficial for some users with
> > > limited memory.
> >
> > And a child with no vaccines isn't that much of a danger to the
> > community. Until someone opens a window, or forgets to wash a glass,
> > and the *other* unvaccinated children form a wonderful way to spread
> > an infection.

> I fail to see how a comparison of x86 to a disease is really relevant. If you
> really want to go that route, I'll tell you now that x86 is no more
> "unsecurable" than x64, both arches have security issues, and it's
> unavoidable. There are also vulnerabilities with specific implementations.

You snipped the part about how few if any people, including primary
software authors, are supporting x86 architectures anymore, so they
will not be maintained or patched. Thus, they will not be protected
against attacks, even obsolete attacks. If there are more than a few
such machines, and they are not completely isolated, i.e. they are
permitted to play with the vaccinated children, they can form pools of
vulnerable hosts and defeat the "herd immunity" from the generally
better maintained and supported software.

It's the pool of unmaintained and unmaintainable software I'm
expressing a concern about. If you'd care to take on the task of
supporting the architecture, of porting patches and testing them,
well, the world has many freedoms and this is one of them. I just
don't think you'll have many clients as the architecture has almost
universally been discarded. There are few tools, like FreeDOS and
wine, for running quite obsolete software, that may still benefit from
the availability of x86 libraries in Fedora. Maybe even Xen? But not
many.