On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 6:11 AM Pierre-Yves Chibon <pin...@pingoured.fr> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 03:01:25PM +0200, Remi Collet wrote:
> > Le 26/09/2019 à 11:36, Pierre-Yves Chibon a écrit :
> > > Here is what the vision we came to and that we would like to discuss:
> > >
> > > ○ Every changes to dist-git is done via pull-requests
> >
> > IMHO Have to stay optional, making this mandatory being a terrible headache.
>
> What makes it a headache? What can we do to not have this be a terrible
> headache? Can we fix/improve the tooling?
>
> Note: this is the long term vision, as we move towards it things will be
> optional: opt-in, then (maybe) opt-out, then (if we want to) mandatory.

There has to be an easier way to do pull requests.  And maybe there
is, I'm not a git expert.
My biggest concern that I see isn't for my own packages, but as a
proven packager, there are times I need to "group change" things.  An
example is that I recently helped with the EPEL 7 python34 -> python36
changeover.  This required changing alot of packages.  For the sake of
simplicity, we'll say it's 100.
I now have to fork 100 packages.
Download those 100 git repo's.
And for each of those packages I have to then create my fork
pull-request branch.
After that, the steps wouldn't be too different.   I would make my
changes, commit and push.
I would then have to create the pull request (I currently don't know
how to do that from the command line), wait for the testing, get the
pull request pulled, and from there it's the same.

For me, it's those first three steps that are the headache.
Especially with having to fork the repo.  I look at that and think
that it's a waste of space, on both my machine, as well as the server
machines.

If there was a better, easier way of creating the pull request, then
it wouldn't be a headache for me.

Troy