On 04. 10. 19 16:57, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
Right now, there are two conflicting requirements in Fedora Modularity
that we need to resolve.

1. Once a user has selected a stream, updates should follow that
stream and not introduce incompatiblities. Selected streams should not
be changed without direct action from the user.
2. So far as possible, Modularity should be invisible to those who
don't specifically need it. This means being able to set default
streams so that `yum install package` works for module-provided
content.

Where this becomes an issue is at system-upgrade time (moving from
Fedora 30->31 or continuously tracking Rawhide). Because of
requirement 1, we cannot automatically move users between streams, but
in the case of release upgrades we often want to move to a new default
for the distribution.

Wouldn't it be easier if the "default stream" would just behave like a regular package?

I can think of two solutions of that:

1. (drastic for modular maintainers)

We keep miantaining the default versions of things as ursine packages. We only modularize alternate versions.

Pros: Users who don't want alternate versions won't be affected by imperfections of our modular design. No Ursa Major/Prime needed in the buildroot.

Cons: Modular maintainers who do modules with just one stream because it is easier for them would need to rollback to what's easier for everybody else but them. Modular maintainers who do multiple modular streams would need to maintain both the alternate streams and ursine packages.

2. (potentially dangerous consequences?)

We put the default modular stream into our regular repos, similarly to what we try to do in the buildroot. "dnf install Foo" would install the Foo package and would not enbale any streams or modules. The modular maintainers would keep maintaining the modules as now, the infrastructure would compose the defaults into the regular repo (or an additional but default-enabled one).

Pros: Maintainers would keep doing what they desire.

Cons: We would need to make this technically possible and figure out all the corner cases (however AFAIK this needs to be done for the "modules in buildroot" thing as well).

WDYT?

--
Miro Hrončok