Miro Hrončok wrote:
> It goes like this:
>
>   - master and f31 are at the same commit "aaaaaa"
>   - I push a change only possible in rawhide, commit "bbbbbb" to master
>     (it includes release bump and changelog entry)
>   - a commit relevant for both, "cccccc" is pushed to master
>     (it includes release bump and changelog entry)
>   - on f31, I run `git cherry-pick cccccc` => conflict
>
> I don't worry about having "Fedora 31 mass rebuild" or "Rebuilt for python
> 3.8" changelong entries in Fedora 29 (it gives me a little flinch, but
> nothing serious). i worry about the bbbbbb commit I cannot merge into f31
> (e.g. if it implements some Fedora 32 change).
>
> Then obviously, people start inventing %if spaghetti.

And %if is actually the correct fix for this issue.

See, e.g., the one I had to add to qt5-qtwebengine after you broke it for
F29 with your mass change:
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/qt5-qtwebengine/c/05a52d121d49972989aea8127e22e25f0292333c?branch=master

IMHO, mass changes are only acceptable if the result builds on all supported
Fedora releases. Breaking the build for F29 is only acceptable after it
reaches EOL. So your mass change should have included this %if, or ideally
an update pushed to F29 to make the conditional unnecessary.

        Kevin Kofler