On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 at 13:28, Jindrich Novy <jn...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Tomasz,
>
> > On top of removing perl-generators which add for mc proper perl modules
> dependencies for
> > patchfs
>
> Can you please elaborate on the above? patchfs works for me despite
> missing perl-generators? This is not raised by me but the following request
> from an user:
> -----
> Hi Jindrich,
>
> I did a minimal install of CentOS 8 with mc and saw that it pulls in perl
> due to (I guess) BuildRequires: perl-generators in the spec file. I
> looked at mc upstream and they do not list perl as a requirement:
> https://github.com/MidnightCommander/mc/blob/master/doc/INSTALL
>
> Did I miss something or is perl no more needed? I'd be happy to file a
> BZ, just let me know.

$ rpm -q --qf "[%{REQUIRENAME} %{REQUIREFLAGS:depflags}
%{REQUIREVERSION}\n]" mc | grep perl
/usr/bin/perl
perl(File::Basename)
perl(File::Temp)
perl(POSIX)
perl(bytes)
perl(strict)

For generating those perl dependencies is responsible per-generators
package which you've removed from BRs.

$ grep ^use /usr/libexec/mc/extfs.d/*
/usr/libexec/mc/extfs.d/mailfs:use bytes;
/usr/libexec/mc/extfs.d/patchfs:use bytes;
/usr/libexec/mc/extfs.d/patchfs:use strict;
/usr/libexec/mc/extfs.d/patchfs:use POSIX;
/usr/libexec/mc/extfs.d/patchfs:use File::Temp 'tempfile';
/usr/libexec/mc/extfs.d/uzip:use POSIX;
/usr/libexec/mc/extfs.d/uzip:use File::Basename;
/usr/libexec/mc/extfs.d/uzip:use strict;

$ rpm -q --qf "[%{REQUIRENAME} %{REQUIREFLAGS:depflags}
%{REQUIREVERSION}\n]" mc | grep perl | xargs rpm -q --whatprovides
perl-interpreter-5.30.0-446.fc32.x86_64
perl-interpreter-5.30.0-446.fc32.x86_64
perl-File-Temp-0.230.900-439.fc31.noarch
perl-interpreter-5.30.0-446.fc32.x86_64
perl-interpreter-5.30.0-446.fc32.x86_64
perl-libs-5.30.0-446.fc32.x86_64

Without installed perl(File::Temp) perl module when someone will enter into
patch to use patchfs it will be be not working.
If you want to fix that you should try to rewrite patchfs perl backend
script in POSIX sh.
I'm almost sure that using perl in patchfs or zipfs is obverkill.

As well rpmfs is written is perl (many years ago when I've rewrote rpmfs
scrip it was using only POSIX sh with rpm as only external command ..
however in meantime someone made here some "progress").

Next time instead using you proven packager privileges at least please try
to contact someone who actively is maintaining some package.
You last two commits should be rolled back.

BTW mc.
Also I do not understand why FC31 release comity ignored my objection to
push mc 4.8.23 to fc31 since it core dumps sometimes few times per hour of
active use.
>From end user point of view difference between mc 4.8.22 and 4.8.23 are
negligible.
I have opened ticket with that issue