On Mon, Oct 07, 2019 at 03:15:02PM +0100, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> Out of curiosity, what workflow do existing package maintainers user
> while packaging new software? Is it `fedpkg` based with a folder for the
> spec to work in? (I still use rpmbuild + mock/koji-scratch builds).

I do:
mkcd foo   (bash alias to do mkdir foo && cd foo)
git init
git remote add origin blah             (literally this, otherwise fedpkg
complains, *)
emacs foo.spec &
spectool -g *spec                      (**)
fedpkg --release master local
mock $(ls -t1r *.src.rpm|tail -n1)     (literally this, so I always try to
build the latest package)

I know this is crap and unsuitable for new packagers. But it still
seems better than plain rpmbuild.

(*) I know some people add a real repo here, to publish the spec file,
but I don't bother.

(**) If possible, I only use real URLs for Sources and Patches. E.g. I try to
link to patches directly on github using
https://github.com/foo/foo/commit/NNNNN.patch.
In case I submit a PR with a patch, I link to the commit in the PR.
This means 'spectool -g *spec' is the only tool used to move patches around.
But this approach is rather incompatible with a global ~/rpm/SOURCES dir.

Zbyszek