2010/8/24 pbrobin...@gmail.com <pbrobin...@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 9:36 AM, Rudolf Kastl <che...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> my desktop runs on software mirror raid below an lvm. not for
>> performance but for data recovery reasons. mdmonitor does mail
>> notification. will this be fixed? how about logwatch, it is really
>> useful to have to get an overview what happened on the system in a
>> neat summary. also handy for desktops but just not recognized and
>> presented in an end user compatible way. just my opinion.
>
> Neither of those need to run a MTA locally to work, you just need to
> point them to a mail server, even then they need to be configured to
> send the mail to something other than root anyway. Removing the
> default MTA won't change these out of the box and if you still want to
> run a local MTA its as simple as selecting it during install. I use
> all of the above on dozens of servers and none of them run a mail
> server locally.

well yeah i am well aware of that and yup i can set that up i am just
curious if i am the only one that prefers to have local delivery
available for that kinda setups. i agree that local root notification
isnt helpful for a datacenter. i also agree that /etc/aliases has to
be adjusted for making the logwatch stuff for end users useful and the
user would also need to have the default mail client preconfigured to
have any out of the box use for it. but if you have a
desktop/workstation that is standalone there is no such thing as an
external mail server for raid failure notifications that makes any
sense. i mean do you want to be dependent on a working networking to
be notified of raid failures in an obvious way? i am not argueing for
keeping the default mta necasserily, but as a user id expect that if i
select raid setup in a clicky installer that the system is
preconfigured in a by default useful manner. that includes obvious
ways for notifying me about raid failure. the current functionality of
mdmonitor requires an email address to be set. maybe for that kinda
stuff using our desktop notification system would be something useable
(if you want to discuss that please open a seperate thread though... i
dont wanna hijack this one).