Randy Barlow wrote:

> On Sat, 2019-10-05 at 02:38 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> No. Resolving conflicts implies that you need to do an actual merge,
>> NOT a fast forward. Fast-forwarding means that I am shipping the SAME
>> commit on all branches, so the changelog must be identical (unless I play
>> games with %if in the changelog, which is not going to happen).
>
> The same commit is in all branches, there's just also a merge commit.
> Subsequent commits that don't conflict do fast-forward.

Not by the git definition of "fast forward".

A git "fast forward" means that when merging branch A into branch B, branch
B's HEAD is before the merge an ancestor of branch A's HEAD, and after the
merge, branch B's HEAD is the exact same revision as branch A's HEAD. No
merge commit is created.

A merge with a merge commit is NOT a fast forward.

And as soon as you have a merge commit, the branches are no longer fast-
forwardable, any subsequent merge will also require a merge commit. Unless,
that is, you first merge branch A into branch B (which will create a merge
commit and make branch B's HEAD that merge commit), then merge branch B
back (!) into branch A (which will fast-forward A's HEAD to the merge
commit). But if you do that, the branches are identical again (their HEAD is
the exact same revision), so the contents are exactly the same too. Hence,
in particular, the RPM changelogs are also the same.

Conflict resolution and fast forwarding are mutually exclusive concepts in
git.

        Kevin Kofler