On Wed, 16 Oct 2019 at 13:33, Stephen Gallagher <sgall...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 1:19 PM Przemek Klosowski via devel
> <devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 10/15/19 9:26 PM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

> I'm saying that the policy should forbid the use of that feature
> except for an absolute emergency, requiring approval from FESCo or
> similar. It would exist for cases like "Oh crap, it turns out we've
> been shipping patented content in this stream and we're obligated to
> remove it" or something like that. It should never be used in the
> general case. Not even for "This is so old we should force upgrades".
> For that we should just drop the stream entirely from the next
> release, which would result in the upgrade being impossible until the
> user took a manual action to get off that stream.
>
> It would be my hope that the "obsoletes:" would never actually get
> used, but I'm generally in favor of planning for the worst case ahead
> of time if we can see it coming.

If there is one thing I have learned from watching modularity go
through multiple releases... anything you think shouldn't happen a lot
will. It is nothing new, when packagers learned about Epochs a long
time ago... they got used a lot also. We should not just plan for the
worst case where we need it, but we need to work on the policies
first. Trying to do the policies afterwords is what I think has caused
the most feelings of betrayal and anger which are coming up in various
people's emails.. especially when several of them pointed out that the
problems would occur and were told they were overblowing it.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.