On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 09:07:27AM +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> > Because this keeps coming up, we talked about this at the Fedora Council
> > meeting today. Our goals for modularity are:
> >   2. Those alternate streams should be able to have different lifecycles.
>
> Hmm, it sounds like the Council hasn't taken into account the constraints
> on lifecycle of modules that we have slowly discovered during the last
> two years, constraints that are now part of FESCo-approved policy.
>
> Essentially, modules in Fedora are only allowed to EOL at EOL of Fedora
> release. And to preserve stability for users, a.k.a. following the Update
> Policy, modules should only change to new major version at Fedora
> releases. This is exactly the same as for "normal" rpms.

This seems appropriate for default steams, but modules should be able to
have alternate, opt-in streams which either a) update on a rolling or other
cadence or b) choose to keep building the older version across the release
boundary.

The tooling should make this clear to the users.

> The lifecycle of modules in Fedora must be the same as lifecycle of
> Fedora releases, so no "different lifecycle" is possible.
>
> >   1. Users should have alternate streams of software available.
> >   3. Packaging an individual stream for multiple outputs should be easier
> >      than before.
>
> Those *are* useful goals, but they should not be tied to specific technology,
> we should only care about the end-result.

Yes, that's true from a Council point of view.

However, I also have a pretty strong bias towards people who showed up to
do the work, and the decisions they've made. That doesn't mean we're stuck
and can't adjust -- in fact, adjusting as we've gone along is a lot of why
we're where we are now. But unless someone shows up with people-power and
funding to do it, I take kind of a skeptical view of proposals to start a
whole new approach from scratch.

> Thus, please replace "Our goals for modularity are" with "What we hope
> to achieve with modularity" or even "Our goal is for users to be able to".

I don't really see a meaningful difference there.

--
Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org>