On 12. 11. 19 14:00, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
Dne 05. 11. 19 v 16:03 Ben Cotton napsal(a):
== Summary ==
Python 3 traditionally in Fedora was built with a shared library
libpython3.?.so and the final binary was dynamically linked against
that shared library. This change is about creating the static library
and linking the final python3 binary against it, as it provides
significant performance improvement, up to 27% depending on the
workload. The static library will not be shipped. The shared library
will continue to exist in a separate subpackage. In essence, python3
will no longer depend on libpython.

It seems that we have one group of people who prefer speed and another group of people who prefer saved space.

Instead of focusing on a swiss-knife to satisfy everybody (which will not work), can we have python3-static **and** python3-dynamic (*) packages and let users decide which one will be installed and handle `/usr/bin/python3` using `alternatives(8)`? Then FESCO can "only" decide which one will be the default. And that is far less controversial than deciding whether you will be forced to use a time-saving or space-saving solution.

While I realize that this might actually be a clever thing to do, as the Python maintainer, I don't want this for various reasons. Most importantly, it means we need to to "support" twice that many Python interpreters.

It would also create a problem in RPM requirements.

Suppose a package need /usr/bin/python3.8 to be dynamically linked. How do I express that? It would need to harcode some kind of /usr/libexec/python3.8-dynamic? Would this require custom shebangs... etc.? I really don't want to go that way. It's bad on RHEL 8 already, with "platform-python".

Note that this is my personal opinion, not a team opinion.

--
Miro Hrončok