On Mon, Dec 2, 2019, 04:43 Kevin Kofler <kevin.kof...@chello.at> wrote:

> Igor Gnatenko wrote:
> > 1. Do we want to package multiple streams only for "leaf" software or
> > any kind of it?
> > I believe that we need both, and we do support both. However, it might
> > not look as nice as it could:
> > * Need to create multiple repos for different "streams"
> > * Need to maintain epel7/epel8/f30/f31/master branches
> > * Package names have to be "mangled" (e.g. mozjs38, mozjs60) and it is
> > manual work
>
> Your proposal addresses these, but skips the same requirement the current
> Modularity also fails to address by design, i.e.:
>
> > * However, those are supposed to be (according to the guidelines)
> > parallel-installable (and not be conflicting in any way)
>
> In particular, your proposal suggests:
>
> > * Packages produced from nodejs.src have Provides: stream(nodejs)
> > stream(nodejs:9) and Conflicts: stream(nodejs) so that it is
> > explicitly not possible to install 9 and 10 at the same time
>
> which explicitly excludes the parallel installability. So I do not see how
> it addresses the main drawback Modularity has compared to compatibility
> packages.
>
> (Note: The sentence as stated also means that the package Conflicts with
> itself, which will probably also badly confuse some tools, but that is a
> technical detail that should be fixable. It is the underlying concept of
> Conflicting with all other versions that is the real issue.)
>
> Your proposal is essentially a proposal to automate the creation of
> versioned (with suffixed Name) compatibility packages, but it excludes the
> most essential part of the compatibility package pattern, the one that
> makes
> it suited for this use case unlike the current Modularity. So I fail to
> see
> how it addresses in any way the issues we are having with the current
> Modularity.

Oh yeah, this is not only the thing I'm proposing. People want to have
"stream branch" and build from it to all Fedora and EPEL and I thought that
it was clear however it was not. Basically part of the proposal is to have
let's say branches by major version which builds into all releases.

You suggest to change the packaging guidelines to match the technical