On Sat, Dec 14, 2019 at 7:26 AM Justin W. Flory <jflo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> (1) This change affects people differently in different regions of the world
>
> The Fedora community has large user and contributor communities all over the
> world. Historically, our Ambassadors/Advocates relied on DVD media in these
> regions to install Fedora and promote it at events, because there is not
> always reliable, consistent Internet connection in parts of these regions.
> Additionally, the hardware that exists in these regions is often
> previous-generation hardware that does not mirror the same hardware advances
> in the West.
>
> Without more data on DVD media usage to support this Change, I am concerned
> of the impact of this Change on Fedora user and advocacy communities that may
> still rely on this as a vital deliverable to support their community work in
> promoting Fedora globally.

Related questions, though possibly tangent to this Change, in the
context of regions where Internet is not as reliable or fast:

Is it typical that installations are not immediately updated? By
default, Fedora Workstation will start downloading updates within
minutes of the first login (following first user creation in GNOME
Initial Setup). Not merely updated repo metadata, but the actual RPMs.
Soon after release, weeks, this first update payload is easily the
size of the Workstation Live ISO. Is it typical to setup a local
mirror to mitigate this problem? If it were easier to setup a local
mirror, or locally mirror a subset of the RPMs in a release, would
that help make netinstall more viable in addition to making it easier
to provide up to date installations?

If it's most helpful to have a self-contained initial installation, is
the current 2GB Workstation Live size limitation actually a negative?
As in, there's generally a desire for more pre-installed applications
and functionality? A larger ISO translates into an even larger update
demand when the time comes, so it's a balancing act of course - but
I'm wondering whether a sub 2GB ISO size for this use case actually
makes things more difficult. Or if it's considered OK as is.

Thanks,

--
Chris Murphy