On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 01:04:43PM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Neal Gompa wrote:
> > You've been saying this a lot lately, and this isn't actually backed
> > up by reality.
> >
> > Debian *is* dropping Python 2 support.
>
> It was Adam Williamson who claimed that Debian would still support Python 2.
> I neglected to verify that claim, sorry for that.
>
> But this means that his argument that users who need Python 2 should just
> switch to Debian is null and void.
>
> So far, Fedora has always been one of the few distributions willing to ship
> legacy compatibility libraries to keep software working. See GTK+ 1, Qt 3,
> etc. (Some of it, such as Qt 3, was partly my own work, some of it, such as
> GTK+ 1, has been entirely done by other volunteers.) With the Python 2
> policy, and also with the package deprecation process that was introduced
> recently, Fedora is making a radical U-turn, which will make it much less
> useful for end users. And there is no real alternative to switch to. Debian
> is clearly not one.
>
> Maintainers need to realize that there is lots of niche software out there
> that is effectively unmaintained (and thus will never get ported to Python 3
> etc.), but that works, fulfills some task, and has no more recent
> alternative available. What should people relying on such software do?

Either figure out a way to get people to maintain the software, or
figure out a way to get people to develop a replacement, or keep using
the unmaintained software on equally unmaintained older versions of
operating systems that it will run on.

Sorry for the bluntness, but, well...

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev  roam@{ringlet.net,debian.org,FreeBSD.org} p...@storpool.com
Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13