On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 01:28:26PM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:

> What are you afraid of?  Fedora is not a country, you don't have to
> move to get away. All the code is free. Most the code isn't even ours,
> it belongs to the upstreams. If somebody were to buy RHT, the worse
> they could do is prevent previous RHT employees from working on it as
> their day job, turn off the servers and sit on the trademarks. All the
> code and people can go to a new project name.  It would just take a
> few servers and an uplink to the mirror system, which is not owned by
> RHT or Fedora.  There really isn't any intellectual property around
> Fedora that isn't open and transparent.  Man power may die off, but
> some arbitrary rule about how many people who might be employed by RHT
> can serve in decision bodies wouldn't change that at all.
>
> So I ask you again, what are you so afraid of that you think you can fix?

Afaik, the only thing that would be lost is the ability to relicense
unlicensed contributions, e.g. the power that the CLA gives to RedHat.
With the FPCA, the board could relicense everything. But RedHat appoints
the board chair, who has veto power. If this is right, then this could
be changed by making the chair seat another normal seat, that is voted
for by the community and make the board elect it's chair by itself.

Also the trademarks and other rights might be moved to an non-profit
association.

> --
> Sent from my Android phone. Please excuse my brevity.

And you managed to proper quote! \o/ Now the next step is not to create
very long lines. ;-)

Regards
Till