On Fri, Jan 03, 2020 at 11:05:43AM -0500, Robbie Harwood wrote:
> Nico Kadel-Garcia <nka...@gmail.com> writes:

> >> No?  This is extremely useful for cloud environments - maybe the most
> >> useful.  It allows VM hosts to reclaim and reuse empty disk space;
> >> otherwise, the disk images just bloat to their maximum allowed size.
> >
> > Its most useful for the cloud *providers*, not the cloud clients. For
> > the clients, getting the AWS space pre-allocated form EBS is often a
> > notable performance improvement, and restoring it to AWS saves AWS
> > resources. Not the client system performance.
>
> Sure, but in many cases the client is also the provider.  Consider
> running kvm on a laptop (which I and many others do for work...) - you'd
> really like the disk space back you're not using, rather than each VM
> taking 10-20G it doesn't need.  I end up having to edit every VM
> configuration in two places after each install/provision in order to get
> that behavior - that's not reasonable.

virt-manager at least defaults to requesting full pre-allocation
of guest disks. The reason for this is that if using sparse raw or
grow-on-demand qcow2 files, and the host FS runs out of free space,
the guest OS will silently pause execution (the alternative is to
report EIO which will cause the guest OS to panic and/or set the
FS read-only). Someone using the guest will just see their session
inexplicably hang. If it enabled discard on the disks, this would
defeat the purpose of requesting full preallocation originally.

So it is a trade off between having a guest deployment that is
robust wrt host FS space issues, at the cost of using more disk
space. Of course this doesn't suit everyone's desires, but I think
that it is a reasonable tradeoff for virt-manager/boxes to make.
You can get the full configurable control over this by using the
virt-install tool to provision guests if desired.

Regards,
Daniel