On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 06:20:01 +0200, you wrote:

>"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> The first mistake we did was trying to label end user since it's not up
>> to the project in whole to decide which end user type it's target.
>>
>> It's should be up to individual community SIG's to decide what user base
>> they are targeting and the form they will present that to the end user
>> in live cd or a predefined installation option be it with the latest and
>> greatest bits of their product or a not which may or may not be
>> influenced from feed backs from the micro community they have
>> established around the product they ship.
>
>+1. I couldn't agree more. We really need to give more decision power to
>SIGs and accept that different Fedora spins will have different target user
>bases. There's no one size that fits it all.

There still needs to be a consistent set of policies that all of
Fedora follows, otherwise the actions of one SIG can hurt the other
SIGs.  This is the "cost" of using the Fedora name, where the name has
a value in the mind of the public and that value must be consistent
across all products that carry that name.

If a SIG finds those rules/decisions too restrictive then the benefit
of open source is that they can take the project elsewhere, give it a
new name, and run things the way they want.

>> The Fedora project in whole should give equal access to those bits and
>> devote equal amount of marketing resources to promote them.
>>
>> Simply allow the casual user that walks in the Fedora garden to pick
>> what ever fruit he chooses that grew from the labour of the community to
>> taste and enjoy.
>>
>> Unfortunately that is not how things are being done in the Fedora garden
>> today instead we force one vision ( Desktop ) and with one DE ( Gnome )
>> which greatly overshadows all the good work that's being done in other
>> corners in the lcommunity like in server applications and KDE XFCE and
>> LXDE and willingly or unwilling hinder the growth in the micro community
>> around those Desktop Environment, hiding them like some rotten apples
>> from infested tree in a shed in the back yard.
>
>Strong +1 there too. I've been complaining about this kind of second-class
>treatment for everything not GNOME for a while.

Many of us claim to want a wide selection of choices when we go
looking for something to buy, but retailers have done studies that
show that choice ends up confusing the customer and they walk away
choosing nothing.  This is why retailers tend to limit the choices to
2 or 3 options.  They sell more this way.

If Fedora created a home page that offered up every available option
the new people would simply go to another distribution whose website
isn't as confusing, or stick with Windows.

Does this mean some projects don't get the exposure they deserve? Yes,
but unfortunately there is no way around it without hurting Fedora as
a whole.