On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 11:19 AM Michal Srb <m...@redhat.com> wrote:

> This is more complicated and it would probably deserve a separate thread :)
> Java and Python are completely different ecosystems. And Java ecosystem
> (apps/libs) is just inherently unfriendly to Linux distributions. It's not
> necessary bad or broken - it's just different.
>
> I am curious: what was the reason to develop against the packaged Java
> libraries?
>
> Thanks,
> Michal

Provenance. If you're working from a packaged Java library, Perl
module, Python module, or any other kind of module, you know what
source it was built from, roughly how, and have some listing in RPM of
what it's compatible with. I've had people do "sudo pip install" that
broke python modules used by many other components, including rpm
itself. And I've had cases where what got built out of online
dependences did not have a single versioned component in common with
what got built a few days later, or that had circular dependency
incompatibilities and would no longer build, at all.