On Tue, 31 Mar 2020 at 20:04, Adam Williamson <adamw...@fedoraproject.org>
wrote:

> On Tue, 2020-03-31 at 13:55 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 10:44:35AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > > I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Kevin and Michael here to a
> > > significant extent. Running our own project on open source code has
> > > always been a very big bright line for Fedora.
> >
> > You don't have to be sorry! I think it's very clear that this is the
> general
> > community view.
> >
> > > I think Iñaki's take on the "oh, you contribute to Github projects so
> > > no problem right?" angle is correct.
> >
> > Let me be sorry, though. That wasn't mean to be a "oh you..." statement.
> It
> > was that other open source projects are not held to this standard, not to
> > "gotcha" Michael or anyone else for their contributions elsewhere.
>
> I mean, held by who? This is a standard we have (more or less) held
> ourselves to. Which, if you think about it, means it's a standard
> that's in our DNA: we're a group of people who *thought it was
> important enough to hold ourselves to that standard*. Would it be
> hypocritical for someone outside of Fedora who happily uses software
> from other projects that are hosted on Github or whatever to criticize
> us if we were to do this? Sure, it would be. But this here is not that,
> it's us holding ourselves to our own standards.
>
> Speaking personally, sure, I contribute to Github-hosted projects. I
> maintain one project on Github (because it's extremely adjacent to
> another project that's hosted on Github and the maintainers of that
> project asked me to have it there, so I did). Hell, I send in fixes for
> entirely proprietary things sometimes...because my overriding itch is,
> if something is there, at least it had better *work* properly. But I
> certainly would not consider hosting work that's a fundamental part of
> Fedora on a proprietary system, I've always seen that as a *complete*
> non-starter - whether we were considering test automation, result
> tracking, event organization, anything like that, the very first rule
> has always been, if it's not open source it's just not on the list at
> all. And as far as I've noticed, that has been the same for all other
> core Fedora stuff, for many years.

To add some nuance to stat statement a quite big chunk of the Fedora Infra
apps are hosted on GitHub (https://github.com/fedora-infra), and relatively
critical things like Bodhi, FAS, mirrormanager, ..... As far as I know most
of Fedora CoreOS (and Silverblue ?) is also on GitHub. A critical part of
our infrastructure the NFS shared storage also run an proprietary software
(NetApp).