On Wed, Apr 01, 2020 at 10:19:08AM +0200, Vít Ondruch wrote:
So although this update clarifies some part, we have not moved anywhere:

~~~

=== Can we do this in a branch instead of in master? ===

This adds no value to the current approach where Red Hat maintainers
would manually merge their changes into the internal build
infrastructure. There's no way to automate the sync from the `master`
branch to the `eln` branch that wouldn't break and require maintainer
involvement. Attempting to branch only individual packages would
introduce significant complexity in the build process as well, leading
to far more opportunity for bugs. Lastly, even the most diligent of
maintainers can forget to sync every change to a new branch, thus
leaving us in a situation where the `eln` branch has fallen behind and
is no longer providing an accurate view of whether the package is still
building or functioning in that environment.

~~~

I wonder where this comes from. I am participating in this thread,
representing Ruby maintainers in RHEL and Fedora, in other places of the
thread, I see Miro Hrončok, Tomáš Orsava and Pert Viktorin representing
Python RHEL and Fedora maitainers, as well as Petr Písař, the RHEL and
Fedora representative of Perl. All in all, it represents ~1/2 packages
in Fedora/RHEL. I hope that I can say that these people shares a view
that branch, fork, PR is the way to go.

Yet we are not able to convince you. So I wonder who this proposal
actually represents? Who is the target audience? Who are the Red Hat
maintainers you mentioned in the proposal?

I think the FAQ entry above could be phrased better, but my understanding is
that we should really want rawhide to be where upstream RHEL work happens.
Creating another branch for this work effectively creates two rawhides and I
think ELN would suffer as a result.

Another thing to consider is that we should want ELN builds happening as
rapidly as rawhide builds.  ELN is not something to set up and maintain as it
were RHEL.

Thanks,