On Fri, 2020-04-03 at 14:41 -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Kevin Fenzi <ke...@scrye.com> said:
> > Fedora Infrastructure has always been open and welcoming of community
> > work. The VAST majority of folks who have worked on it (at least the
> > operations side) in the past or are now, started out in the community
> > and eventually ended up doing it full time.
>
> I have considered trying to join in to help infra a couple of times...
> I used to run a public mirror and then changed jobs (actually might have
> equipment to do it again soon) and would still like to contribute.  One
> thing that I've found daunting is that, as a small-time packager that
> has to look up how to update my stuff every single time, I don't know
> many of the pieces or how they fit together.  So the "self starter"
> aspect is difficult because I don't think I'd know where to start.

FWIW, just as a personal take..mmy usual answer to this conundrum is:
find something broken that's annoying you. (This is usually not too
hard! :>) Then try and fix it.

I usually find it's possible to find the bit that's broken (because the
exact nature of the error gives you clues) and work out enough to fix
that, without learning the whole system at once. But you get a hold of
a 'corner piece', so to speak. And then I usually wind up thinking
"well, hmm, if *that* bit is here, what does *that* bit over there
do?", or find something else that just looks possibly broken or weird,
and look into that, and keep going from there...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey