On Tue, 2020-04-07 at 14:01 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot via devel wrote:
> Le mardi 07 avril 2020 à 06:31 -0400, Paul Dufresne via devel a écrit :
> > Le 20-04-06 à 21 h 01, Paul Dufresne a écrit :
> > > BTW, thanks I was searching for an example of package using a git
> > version rather than a released archive!
> > Just for the record, *I think* the current package is a bad example
> > of a package using a forge like git.
> >
> > Current
> > https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/xorg-x11-drv-intel/blob/f32/f/xorg-x11-drv-intel.spec
> > does not seems to use the %forgemeta or %forgesetup macros as
> > suggested in
> > https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/SourceURL/
> > (that I just read)
>
> While documented and official %forge macro use is not mandatory in
> Fedora (of course, if you do things some other way, and the result
> breaks, you ’ve no excuse for the breakage)

Remember, xorg-x11-drv-intel is (obviously) quite an old package. New
packaging stuff gets invented in Fedora *all the time*, and if you're a
maintainer of existing packages you're not necessarily going to want to
spend large chunks of time reading up on the latest FPC deliberations
and updating all your spec files to implement the Cool New Shiny.
Especially if the package works just fine as-is.

None of my packages use this stuff either, because I hadn't heard of it
until right now, it didn't exist when I started packaging stuff from
Github and so on, and I tend to just cargo cult the basic frameworks of
packages around from package to package for stuff I maintain (as I
think many packagers do). I might use it now, because it looks helpful,
but if this thread hadn't happened I might not have noticed it for
another year or two.

So: you can't really accuse any package that doesn't use something
*optional* in the guidelines of being "bad" for that reason. You even
have to accept that older packages may miss some stuff that is now
*mandatory* in the guidelines if no-one took the trouble to go out and
file mass bug reports and so on, because when the guidelines change
there isn't always a process put in place to require or help packagers
to adjust their packages to the change.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey