On Di, 14.04.20 15:57, James Cassell (fedoraproj...@cyberpear.com) wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 14, 2020, at 3:23 PM, Ben Cotton wrote:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/systemd-resolved
> >
> > == Summary ==
> >
> > Enable systemd-resolved by default. glibc will perform name resolution
> > using nss-resolve rather than nss-dns.
> >
> > == Owner ==
> > * Name: [[User:catanzaro| Michael Catanzaro]]
> > * Email: <mcatanz...@redhat.com>
> >
> > == Detailed Description ==
> >
> > We will enable systemd-resolved by default.
>
> Does this require systemd to be running? How does this affect DNS resolution
> on a Fedora 33 container?

Depends.

If a container manager copies in /etc/resolv.conf from the host into
the container on container *start*, it might be wise to copy in
/run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf instead of /etc/resolv.conf, if it
exists. That file in /run contains the currently up-to-date upstream
DNS info literally.

If a container builder copies in /etc/resolv.conf during build time,
it probably should insert something like 8.8.8.8 as DNS servers there,
also replacing whatever is there.

Note that the logic in systemd and resolved is very defensive: if
/etc/resolv.conf is not a symlink to
/run/systemd/resolve/{stub-,}resolv.conf then resolved will consume
/etc/resolv.conf instead of managing it (see other mail), hence a
container mgr/builder that wants to direct DNS traffic somewhere
should just override the file to whatever it wants, and things will
just work, regarldess if resolved runs in the container or not, and
resolved -- if used -- will honour whatever the container mgr/builder
put there.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin