On 4/17/20 2:23 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
On Fri, 2020-04-17 at 15:13 -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
Of the two, I loved FC6 more, because I thought the way the Fedora
logo was used throughout the artwork was really well-done. And it
conveyed what I felt Fedora was about very well: Fedorans are the
community, and the community is part of our DNA. Later Fedora releases
did a good job providing a coherent theme based on codenames.

For the past few years, we've lost a lot of visual differentiation as
we've scaled back or killed off aspects of our unique per-release or
project identity embodied in the distribution. There were even a
couple of times where we went with what I felt to be uselessly bland
artwork that I thought made Fedora look like a non-entity.

The last few releases have had some interesting wallpapers, but we
never quite got the same visual appeal that we had before.

And to Michael's point about Ubuntu's branding, they have a set of
design principles that they use to simultaneously present "Ubuntu" and
the Ubuntu "release" by leveraging their codename scheme and imbuing
it in the artwork in creative ways. That's not a thing we do in Fedora
anymore... :(
None of this is free, it needs people to show up and do the work. Just
as with coding or package management, there is very little value in
saying "boy, I sure wish someone else would do all this cool stuff I've
thought of". If you want it to happen, get together with like-minded
folks and do it...

Sadly things aren't that simple.

Even once you put lots of time and effort into making something, you still then need to worry about people(or organizations) thinking they're special and can do whatever they want, breaking that thing you spent lots of time and effort making.

Nor do you need lots of people to do it. Many current or former projects have been done by a single person. Personal desire or need goes a long way.

Anyway, background image reminds me of Windows 95. Having a "retro" background image(if that's what it's supposed to be) as an option isn't a bad idea, but it probably isn't a good idea as a default.