On 4/22/20 11:54 AM, Miro Hrončok wrote:
> On 22. 04. 20 10:25, Susi Lehtola wrote:
>> first, I'm sorry for a partial screw-up of the libxc soname bump
>> announcement.
>> It appears I am not alone: there are a few soname bumps each month, many of
>> them
>> still unannounced.
>
> I'd guess the biggest problem is that a lot of packages have soname bumps
> hidden
> by * globs. I.e. the maintainers update thei package without even realizing
> they've bumped.
>
> This is getting better and better now, as more packages follow the rule not to
> do this and use a more strict glob.

If the updates system caught changed sonames and triggered a warning / mails to
affected package maintainers, this would not be a problem.

>> This raises the question: shouldn't there be some sort of automatic tool for
>> making soname bump announcements? It seems to me that this is a thing where
>> computers easily beat humans: query for dependent packages, and shoot their
>> maintainers an email. Maybe something that could go in fedpkg? Whenever
>> changed
>> sonames are detected, hold the update aside and start ringing the alarm
>> bells?
>
> If somebody does this, note that there are basically 3 steps here:
>
> 1.
> $ repoquery --repo=rawhide --source --whatrequires 'libfoo.so.1.0()(64bit)'
>
> 2.
> https://pagure.io/fedora-misc-package-utilities/blob/master/f/find-package-maintainers
>
> 3.
> Write and send e-mail.

Three steps with manual labor instead one. A simple script could do this.

> However, do you propose that this would happen automagically when the soname
> is
> bumped? What if I am already in touch with the dependent package owners?

Then they get two emails notifying them about an upcoming soname bump.
--
Susi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor