I'm wondering if this is your personal initiative or if you're sync with ELN people. I emailed them in January about the very same idea (and I used the very same name; we both seem to like Gentoo), we exchanged couple emails, but never got an answer if this is the way to go. Since I have a lot of problems of my own (dnf, rpm, modularity), I did not want to start this as my personal initiative.

I'm really glad that someone's looking into this finally.
BTW, the new libdnf spec is using this approach already: https://github.com/rpm-software-management/libdnf/blob/dnf-5-devel/libdnf.spec

Since I'm part of RPM team too, I hope they won't mind if I'll speak for them :) Don't you rather want to work with us on extending the existing with/without macros? I'd prefer to improve the existing approach over creating something brand new. We could also reuse existing rpmbuild --with/--without arguments and ideally remain backwards compatible.

Besides this, +1 from me