Hi Vitaly

Afraid I somewhat disagree. I think we should have done more earlier, but
I don't think the root cause is ours.

I have no idea how the Dell XPS 13 solves this issue (or if it had the same
in the first place) but my understanding of the problem is needing the adaptive
support from DPTF to detect between lap and desk mode.

We have to meet some temperature safety requirements when the device is on
lap. Because Linux doesn't have support for that the device defaults to the
'safer'
power setting and you see thermal throttling (and lower performance than
Windows). The new firmware does that lap/desk mode detection - and I'm told
implementing  that in the BIOS/EC firmware framework was non-trivial, It was
done purely for Linux customers. The performance now for Linux users should
be the same as for Windows users.

I think if DPTF had been open-sourced the thermal throttling would have been a
non-issue. I can't comment on why that hasn't happen - I think really that's a
question for Intel.
Perhaps there are better solutions possible? They all get a bit vendor specific
and
I suspect would have been hard to upstream so firmware is a reasonable fix in
my opinion.

Mark