On 5/12/20 5:55 AM, Felix Schwarz wrote:
Am 12.05.20 um 12:32 schrieb Ty Young:
Right, I figured it was some Fedora policy and not up to you. I suppose I
should have been more clear there. Sorry for any confusion, it was aimed at
the Fedora project as a whole as this is a Fedora issue.
This is not a Fedora issue but a consequence of Fedora's core values. You not
agree with it but "building from source" is so fundamental that it does not
make sense to even start a discussion about it on fedora-devel.

I suggest you read up on the rationale behind that policy (which is why I
linked the policy document in the first place).

I understand that missing components/features due to the source requirement
are annoying but Fedora (and other distros) decided to take the "high road"
here and actually fix stuff instead of shipping whatever upstream came up with.

As someone who has been burned due to Fedora's goody little two shoes policies, I'd kindly ask that Fedora take a hike and not package the software at all.

Other software developers SHOULD NEVER have to deal with bug reports from Fedora or any other distro becauseĀ  they want to modify software instead of taking what was already made, breaking things as a result. This isn't the first time a Linux distro has done this either, IIRC, there was an issue with Debian and the developer of the Xscreensaver software too.

At worst all you're doing is angering people who want to support Linux and at best hurting yourselves. Stop it.

Felix