Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote on Mon, May 18, 2020:
> > > How should I go about with that? Open bz bugs to all the packages I
> > > listed?
> >
> > I would suggest to directly create pull requests on pagure (with a
> > reference to this thread), as that will make it more likely that this
> > change will actually happen.
>
> +1

I feel like I'm being dumped the work wholesale... :)

This unfortunately might not be that simple, I've just checked from the
first I'm most likely to use (perf) and the install path is decided by
the kernel makefiles.

The kernel ships three completion scripts, two have been updated to
install to /usr/share/bash-completion/completions by default (so
bpftool will just be a matter of NOT setting bash_compdir in the
specfile and just a spec update) but perf will need a kernel patch
first. I believe this was not fluke the first project I looked that does
it that way, there really is some work required... I don't mind going
through it one item at a time, including the kernel patch that will
break packaging anyway, but this really isn't as simple as pagure PRs,
it might be possible to just 'mv' the file there after install but
that's not a good solution.

On the pagure side, I assume the process is something along the lines of:
 - fedpkg clone pkg && cd pkg
 - modify things
 - fedpkg fork
 - push in fork
 - got create PR in the web interface?

I'll work on it as time permits...

> Please also consider submitting a PR for the packaging guidelines.
> I think this is a change we generally agree on, and a PR should make
> the whole process faster.

This file ?
https://pagure.io/packaging-committee/blob/master/f/guidelines/modules/ROOT/pages/index.adoc

Should it be something specific about bash-completion, or something more
generic about avoiding files in etc when possible?
To give a few examples:
 - /etc/systemd/system -> /usr/lib/systemd/system
 - /etc/udev/rules.d -> /usr/lib/udev/rules.d
 - /etc/tmpfiles.d -> /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d
 - /etc/bash_completion.d -> /usr/share/bash-completion/completions

I'm sure there are more and don't see anything about any of these... Oh
actually tmpfiles.d is mentionned but not about avoiding /etc, and all
the others have a macro (%{_unitdir}, %{_udevrulesdir} and
%{_tmpfilesdir} respectively) so can be considered as 'autodocumented' ?

> Also:
> $ repoquery --whatprovides '/etc/bash_completion.d/*' --qf '%{name}'

Well... I'll start with what I have on my system as the egoist
person I am :)
Thanks for the full list though.

--
Dominique